Resident Advisor Position
FM – A Better Chance, Inc. (Manlius, NY)
Available: 2019-2020 Academic Year
A Better Chance is the oldest and only national non-profit organization of its kind changing the life trajectory
for academically talented youth of color via access to rigorous and prestigious educational opportunities for
students. The Fayetteville-Manlius A Better Chance program selects 6 female scholars from the NYC area as
9th graders to attend FM high school for 4 years. The scholars live in a house with a Resident Director (RD) and
2 Resident Advisors (RA). The RA has a private bedroom on the floor with the scholars. The RA is supervised
and reports to the RD. This position can be held with daytime employment or while attending graduate
Resident Advisor Responsibilities:
- Supervise evening study hours (Monday-Thursday, typically each RA is responsible for 2 evenings).
- Help create a safe, respectful, collaborative and supportive family environment in the house.
- Share responsibility with the RD for supervising household duties, transportation of scholars and planning
- Drive scholars to local places, as needed when appropriate and reasonable.
- Weekday nightly/overnight duty participation.
- RA must be available approximately 13 weekends per academic year (Sept – June) for weekend staff coverage at the
- Attending family style dinners with scholars and other staff.
- Participation in house and staff meetings, orientation and designated Program events.
- Assist the scholars in establishing and accomplishing personal goals consistent with the program goals.
- Work closely with the RD to build and maintain a partnership that will ensure an optimal environment in the house.
- The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of minority teens.
- Room, board and stipend paid monthly during the FM high school academic year when scholars are in residence.
Room accommodations during the summer months open to negotiation.
- BS/BA degree is required
- Single, female required
- Applicant should demonstrate knowledge in core high school subjects to support scholars in their academic pursuits.
- Some experience leading or working with teenagers is required.
- Previous experience with minority teenagers is preferred.
- Must be able to have scheduling flexibility in case of emergency coverage.
- Experience as a Resident Assistant in a college dorm is a significant plus.
- Excellent communication skills and working as a team is required.
- Position requires a car and current driver’s license.
- Applicant if offered position must be willing to submit to background check clearance prior to start of employment.
For more information view National website: www.abetterchance.org
Applicants should submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com